Welcome to my Blog… This is presented to those who are teaching or being in Education Environment. After taking a look around on my site, you will find some interesting things and you will say that this site will be your One Step Satisfaction. Any comments and critics will be highly appreciated and please do it on the comment column.
Being a good and professional teacher or lecturer is not easy right! You must understand many things related to a good teacher or lecturer. You do not want to be not respectable by your students, thus, it is important for you to get the point of this.
What is actually a teacher or lecturer ? Well, let’s get the gist of the difference !
In the realm of education, a teacher (or, in the US, educator, or, in Indonesia, Guru) is a person who provides schooling for pupils and students. A teacher who facilitates education for an individual student may also be described as a personal tutor. The role of teacher is often formal and ongoing, carried out by way of occupation or profession at a school or other place of formal education. In many countries, a person who wishes to become a teacher must first obtain professional qualifications or credentials from a university or college. These professional qualifications may include the study of pedagogy, the science of teaching. Teachers may have to continue their education after they qualify. Teachers may use a lesson plan to facilitate student learning, providing a course of study which is called the curriculum. A teacher’s role may vary among cultures. Teachers may provide education instruction in literacy and numeracy, craftsmanship or vocational training, the Arts, religion or spirituality, civics, community roles, or life skills. In some countries, formal education can take place through home schooling.
In Indonesia, based on the teachers and lecturers constitution, a teacher is defined as:
Teachers are professional educators with the primary duties, educating, teaching, guide, direct, train, assess, and evaluate students on early childhood education, formal education, primary education, and education medium.
In Indonesia, Lecturers are professional educators and scientists with the main task of transforming, developing, and disseminating science, technology, and art through education, research, and community service.
The profession of lecturer is specialty occupations performed based on the following principles:
1. He has the talents, interests, vocation, and idealism;
2. He has Commitment to improving the quality of education, faith, piety, and noble character;
3. He has an academic qualifications and educational background in accordance with its assignment;
4. He has the necessary competence in accordance with its duties;
5. He has responsibility for the professionalism of the performance of duties;
6. He has Income determined in accordance with job performance;
7. He has the opportunity to develop in a sustainable manner with the professionalism of lifelong learning;
8. He has legal protection guarantee professionalism in carrying out the task;
Lecturers are required to have academic qualifications, competency, education certificates, physically and mentally healthy, and meet other qualifications required by the unit in charge of higher education places, and have the ability to achieve national education goals.
Lecturers must have academic qualifications gained through higher education accredited graduate program in accordance with their area of expertise, as a minimum:
1. Graduates of the master program for diploma or degree program
2. Graduates of the doctoral program for graduate programs.
Educator certificate is evidence of formal recognition given to teachers as professionals, awarded after fulfilling the following requirements:
1. Having work experience as an educator at the college for at least 2 (two) years;
2. Having an academic position at least an expert assistant, and
3.Having Passed the certification by an accredited college program that organizes the procurement of educational
personnel at the college established by the Government of Indonesia.
In obtaining the certification of educators, the teacher must pass through competency tests conducted in the form of portfolio assessment, which is an assessment of academic and professional experience with using a portfolio of lecturers. Teacher portfolio assessment conducted to determine the recognition of professional skills lecturer, in the form of an assessment of the collection of documents that describe:
1. Academic qualifications and performance of Tridharma;
2. Perceptions of superiors, colleagues, students and myself about the ownership of pedagogic competence,
professional, social and personality, and
3. The statement itself is concerned about the contribution of teachers in the implementation and development of Tridharma.
Position / rank of Lecturer
The following hierarchy / rank lecturer and to be appointed at each position and rank, so, he must meet the number of credit points in question,
Jabatan Pangkat Golongan Angka Kredit
Position Rank Designation Number of Credit
Asisten Ahli Penata Muda III/a 100
Penata Muda Tk. I III/b 150
Lektor Penata III/c 200
Penata Tk.I III/d 300
Lektor Kepala Pembina IV/a 400
Pembina Utama Muda IV/c 700
Pembina Tk. I IV/b 550
Guru Besar atau Profesor Pembina Utama Madya IV/d 850
Pembina Utama IV/e 1050
Rights and Obligations
Professionalism in executing duties, professors have the right:
1. Earning income above the subsistence minimum and social welfare;
2. Getting promotions and awards in accordance with the duties and job performance;
3. Obtaining protection in carrying out the duties and rights of intellectual property;
4. Getting a chance to improve competence, access to learning resources, information, facilities and infrastructure
of learning, and research and community service;
5. Having academic freedom, academic pulpit, and the autonomy of science;
6. Having freedom in their assessments and determine the graduation of students; and
7. Having the freedom to associate in professional organizations / professional organizations of science.
Professionalism in executing duties, lecturers are obliged to:
1. Carrying out education, research, and community service;
2. Planning, implementing the learning process, and assess and evaluate learning outcomes;
3. Improving and develop the academic qualifications and competence on an ongoing basis in line with developments in
science, technology, and art;
4. Acting objectively and do not discriminate on the basis of considerations of sex, religion, ethnicity, race,
certain physical conditions, or socioeconomic background of students in learning;
5. Upholding the laws and regulations, laws and codes of ethics, and religious values and ethics, and
6. Maintaining and fostering national unity.
Allowance given to lecturers who meet the following requirements:
1. Having a certificate of educators who have been given the registration number of lecturers by the Department;
2. Carrying out Tridharma with workloads at least equal to 12 (twelve) credits and a maximum of 16 (sixteen)
credits in each semester in accordance with the terms of academic qualifications:
1. Education and research workload of at least equal to 9 (nine) credits are held in the college in question; and
2. Workload of community service can be implemented through community service activities organized by the college
concerned or through other agencies;
3. Being Not bound as permanent staff in other institutions of higher education outside of the unit in charge of
the place in question;
4. Being Listed on the Department as a lecturer.
Benefits of Honor
The government provides allowances to honor professor appointed by the organizers of higher education or higher education equivalent unit 2 (two) times the basic salary professor appointed by the Government on the level, tenure, and qualifications.
Lecturers are entitled to time off in accordance with the provisions of the legislation. In addition to the leave of absence, lecturers can also earn time off for study and research or for the development of science, technology, art, culture, and / or exercise to retain their basic salary, allowances attached to the salary and other income in the form of allowance, special allowances , allowance of honor, as well as additional beneficiaries are related to the duties, as a full lecturers.
Time off for study and research is provided by the management of to lecturers who has a functional position as follows:
1. Asisten or Lektor entitled to a leave of absence 5 (five) years;
2. Lektor Kepala or Professor are entitled to a leave of 4 (four) years.
Studies and research activities include:
1. Non-degree education;
3. Writing of textbooks;
4. Employment practices in the business or the industry that are relevant to their duties;
5. Training relevant to their duties;
6. Community service;
7. Internships at other higher education units, or other similar activities.
Period of Employment
Lecturers are appointed by the Government and appointed to the higher education units held by the public could be placed on structural position in accordance with laws and regulations applicable in Indonesia.
Lecturers can honorably discharged from his position as a lecturer for:
2. Reached the retirement age, at the age of 65 (sixty five) years, but the professor who excel may be extended until
the retirement age limit of 70 (seventy) years.;
3. At the request itself;
4. Unable to perform the task continuously for 12 (twelve) months due to physical illness and / or spiritual; or
5. The end of the employment agreement or collective bargaining agreements between lecturers and education providers.
Lecturers can not be dismissed with honor from the post of lecturers as:
1. Violation of oath of office and appointments;
2. Breach of employment or collective agreements, or
3. Dereliction of duty in performing their duties for 1 (one) month or more on an ongoing basis.
Government, local government, community, professional organizations, and / or higher education units are required to provide protection against lecturers in the performance of its duties include the protection of the law, protection of the profession, as well as occupational safety and health protection.
Legal protection includes protection against violence, threats, discrimination, intimidation, or unfair treatment of the learners, parents, students, community, bureaucracy, and / or other parties.
Profession includes protection against the execution of professional duties, as a lecturers that includes termination of employment that does not comply with statutory regulations, the provision of improper benefits, restrictions on academic freedom, academic pulpit, and the autonomy of science, as well as the limitations / restrictions that may be inhibiting lecturers in the performance of duties.
Safety and Health Protection
Occupational safety and health includes protection against the risk of job security, work accidents, fires at work, natural disasters, environmental health work, and / or other risks.
1. Law of the Republic of Indonesia Number 14 of 2005, ON TEACHERS AND LECTURERS.
2. Regulation of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia Number 37 Year 2009, ON LECTURER .
3. Decree of the Minister of National Education No. 36/D/O/2001, Technical Guidelines On Credit Scoring Position
- No, the Lecture Isn’t Dead (pietistschoolman.com)